Tuesday, June 7, 2011

How I trained

Upon request I am sharing how I trained for my Triathlon. After seeing Kari run hers last year I got that spark, because hey she told me I could do it! In august I started walking at the gym, everyday before my classes. I had a sprained ankle so things started very slow for me. I also started swimming in august. I hadnt swam since I was like 10 and in swimming lessons, so being in the water again was scary. I started with the back stroke because of my fear of water, and could bearly do 25 yards without stopping gasping for breath. But I kept pushing and adding laps and after the beginning of December I was able to do 400 yards being in horrible pain but not stopping. Then I started working on the crawl and I still to this day can only do about 75 yards and then freak out. But you are able to do different strokes for the tri that I did. I need to work on figuring out breathing for crawl so I can stick with it. Back to running, I HATED running, all of my life. So after my ankle was healed around oct I started trying to run. I started with interval training. ran for a min, walked for 3. repeated this for as long as I could, which was like three intervals, but hey, gotta start somewhere. Then I was able to do 2 min running 3 min walking, and then 3 min running 3 min walking, and so on. Some days were easier then others! In Jan I was able to run half a mile without stopping then walked one lap of my track (16 laps is one mile) and then ran the remaining laps. Then I signed up for my first 5k. Did it around St. Patties day. If you have not done one, DO IT! The atmosphere is amazing. There are people cheering you on and everything! I didnt run all of it. My time was 41min. but I finished it! My best time was 40 min so far.. Because of my sprained ankle I pulled a muscle in my leg and when I run it kills me, so I am having the scar tissue broken up. For the Tri it didnt hurt but I was just exhausted!
Bike training was just in the gym because it was over winter. My mistake was never training with hills or harder resistance then a 3. BOY did I learn my lesson. But I had to learn somehow. I did the tri to prove to myself I could do it. It was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life, and It proved that I can do it again, this time for a MUCH better time. Amy if you have any questions dont hesitate to ask!

2 comments:

  1. When is the next tri? Maybe I can come out and do it with you!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA, I am not doing another one this year.. I am doing a mud Brigade run/obstical course instead. :) So next year when the fort collins one is! I was going to do it this sept but the mud brigade is the day before, and I dono if I can handle that much in one weekend! Let alone, I would need to improve my times GREATLY. So I will start training and can let you know

    ReplyDelete